Today on Use Your Words we talked about how to create an online presence that helps with getting speaking engagements! It was a great show, and I encourage you to listen to the whole thing right here! Remember that every Tuesday at noon EST I host a BlogTalkRadio show about speaking and writing, where you can send questions, and I’ll answer them on the air! Do try to join me, or you can always listen to the shows after the fact.
A few highlights from today’s show:
1. Before a publisher will buy a book today, they want to know that the writer has a “platform”. And what’s a platform? It’s the reach that person has, the number of people that the writer reaches through speaking engagements, traditional media, and social media. It’s the number of people who are already interested in what you have to say!
You can build that platform online. Even if you’re not on TV or the radio, or you don’t do too much speaking yet, if you gain a lot of Twitter followers and interested Facebook Fans, then you’re doing well!
Before you start blogging and trying to gain these followers, though, think about what your purpose is. If you want to reach moms, make sure you blog and write and tweet about being a mom. Don’t blog and write and tweet about too much other stuff. If you want to write devotionals, then blog and write and speak about inspiring things. Try to brand yourself so that people will consider you a resource in a particular area.
2. Online media won’t necessarily get you speaking engagements because it’s too broad. It’s not geographically specific. You still need to do the traditional work to generate bookings that we’ve been talking about on this blog! What it will do, though, is make it more likely that those who get your name as a recommendation will ultimately contact you. Usually when people hear about you, they check you out online. If you have a lot written online in the area that you want to speak about, it makes potential organizers more likely to contact you.
Today Teri-Lynne Underwood joined us on Use Your Words to tell us how she has used video and Facebook to develop a following! Teri Lynne is just starting with speaking, but she’s doing all the right groundwork to help build her platform now. You can find her at her blog, Pleasing to You, and at her Facebook Page, Pleasing to You.
Do listen to the show to get inspired, and energized. Yes, you can do this, too!
And if you want to take this one step further, and learn how to build your Twitter followers, how to create a blog in a particular niche and attract readers, and how to use Facebook effectively, listen to my teleseminar or sign up for my Building Your Online Presence E-Course!
Related articles by Zemanta
- Generating Word of Mouth for Your Ministry (christianwomensspeaker.wordpress.com)
- Why Can’t I Get Any Bookings? (christianwomensspeaker.wordpress.com)
- Use Your Words: Making a Living from Speaking (christianwomensspeaker.wordpress.com)